Today was my first day out in the Leprosy Colonies. We went to a colony commonly referred to as the "Art Colony" because there is a micro business that was started there to help the people cope with the effects of leprosy (both mentally and physically) and express themselves through art. The art now tours around the world and paintings go from about $40-$500 dollars. We went into the Bindu Art School and had a chance to meet the artist and look through some of the work. One of the ladies there is nearly blind and completely deaf--her art work is beautiful though. Most of their work is full of happy vibrant colors. Naturally, I had to pick up a couple pieces and get a picture with the artist. It was so fun to see the joy in her face when I selected her paintings. Once we left Heather commented on the fact that it was our first experience talking with the people with leprosy--I actually was a bit startled by the comment because I remember thinking it might be a shocking experience and that I was going to need to mentally prepare so that I did let that shock show in my face when I met them--but the cool thing was, I didn't even think about it. It was so fun to see there work and the proud smiles that lit up their faces with every compliment, that it was easy to be completely ignorant to the way the disease had taken it's toll on them physically.
Although buying art was a fun way to pass the time in the colony, the real reason we came was actually to help start a new Micro Business in the colony. A lady named Wendy flew in this week to partner with Rising Star on this new venture. Wendy has a company called "Pearls with a Purpose" that she started in the Philippines to help impoverished women support their families. The ladies in the "Art Colony" were so excited about having the opportunity to earn money for their families by making jewelry--if you have been to India you will know that rich or poor, the women here love jewelry and are always decked out with earrings, bangles, anklets, etc. We had nearly 30 women show up today and worked with them to make necklaces and other items. Today we encouraged them to show their creativity to create new designs while simultaneously teaching them to use patterns to enhance the beauty of each piece. Some of the women caught on quick and created gorgeous pieces--I fell in love with one ladies necklace the moment I saw it and had to stake my claim before it was even complete. Other ladies struggled a bit, and sadly tomorrow, they will need to select the top 10 "jewelers" and let the rest leave early. For the business to be effective, the women really need to be skilled enough that minimal oversight is needed. It is sad that they can't all continue with the work, butt for those few who are selected, it will make a huge difference in their quality of life.
As we rode back to the Rising Star Outreach campus today it was again humbling to see the circumstances in which the people live. A large portion of the houses are made of little more than dried palm leaves with dirt floors. We stopped at one store and as we walked in we saw a baby sleeping on a mat on the cement floor without a diaper, blanket, or any type of covering. It's sad to realize that for some people, that is everyday life. Hopefully, with this new business, and least a few more families will be able to afford a house made of brick and cement or at least a blanket for their baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment