Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why this, why now?

I love to travel!! I think it should be a requirement that everyone (especially world leaders and politicians) spend some time abroad. The more places I visit the more I realize how much I still have to see. Travel is always an adventure; it opens your mind to other ways of thinking—other ways of life--and provides you with a glimpse of the bigger picture. Also, it’s addicting...

Every trip I take has a purpose of sorts. This adventure has been in the works for quite a while now. I have been wanting to volunteer in a third world or developing country for years, but only started really looking into it about 6 months ago.

Just as I was really diving into my search for the right volunteer program, I happened to sit down with some friends as Amy Antonelli (the former Executive Director of Rising Star) was describing the purpose of Rising Star Outreach. She immediately captured my attention as she spoke about the program she had helped build in India to provide a way for the Leprosy colonies to become self-sufficient communities. I was impressed by the 3-pronged program, which includes: a school for the kids, support to help the people establish their own small businesses, and medical assistance.

As I have continued to learn more about Rising Star Outreach, I am even more amazed. This program has come so far in such a short period of time and has already made such a significant difference. I am excited to get involved and hope that you are as touched by the mission of this program as I have been.

*For more information about Rising Star Outreach or to make a donation please visit http://risingstaroutreach.org

**For a better blog about this trip, please visit my travel-buddies blog at: http:hhreachingforthestars.blogspot.com


3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you. I love your sense of adventure. I hope your traveling goes smoothly. Brayd & I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!! Have so much fun!! Love the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lady. i don't know where i've been...but seen lots of pics of your recent adventures. i stalked your blog and wow, i'm so envious of the great opportunity you're fulfilling right now! congrats and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete