"When will you return?", "Do you like India or America better?", "Why aren't you married?", "Will you come back when you are married?", "Will you bring your family back?", "Why are you leaving?", "Do babies come from your stomach--how do they get there?", "Will I see you again?"...
That's right, I got asked every single one of these questions today. Most by children (how do you answer these questions when they are asked by darling innocent little children?), some by staff. Some of them many times, others only once (thank goodness!). If only I had perfected the head bobble--that would be the best answer! As it were, I just deflected half of them--I handed off the baby question to Heather ;) --and answered as best I could for the rest.
Whether I will return to Rising Star in person is hard to say for sure, but I have a feeling I will stay connected to this program and these people for years to come.
People I will miss: the kids of course (especially Sagayum, Mariyambee, Amirthama and many others!), the Hendershots family and all of the volunteers and staff I had the privilege of working with (I got the sweetest note from my favorite house mother--Rajee-Kumari--love her!), and the amazing people I met and worked with in the colonies.
Things I will not miss: red rice (for every meal), bucket showers, squatting toilets, thin twin sized mattresses (actually--I may miss this as we continue on our journey through Asia...), and worrying about the possibility of getting lice or pink-eye.
Farewell Rising Star--I'll be in touch!
No comments:
Post a Comment