Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sandals in ther Snow

We have been told that it only snows once or twice a year in Bhutan--apparently, today was that day. I was feeling slightly mischievous today, so I decided to wear my flip-flops (it's the little things here). The first day Heather and I arrived in Bhutan our guide, Chencho, had noticed that we were wearing flip-flops and advised us on the pros and cons of them. He gets very concerned about the details (like our feet getting cold when we take off our shoes to go in a temple). It is very considerate, but also somewhat amusing to me. I am not used to having someone look after me so closely. So, today, with snow and all, I chose flip-flops.

As usual, the moment we finished breakfast, Chencho and Ugyen (our driver), were in position ready to assist us. We had a lot of terrain to cover today as we were headed back across the mountain pass, stopping briefly back in Thimphu, and then onto our final destinations in Paro (where the airport is).

Our little car cruised at a steady, but snail-like pace up the mountain road, passing many deserted cars along the way and several people who had decided to proceed on foot. One lady waved, so Heather waved back and Chencho stifled a laugh as he politely explained that they do not wave to say hello in Bhutan, she was actually hoping to catch a ride...lol!

After what may actually have been hours, we were finally nearing the top, and wouldn't you know it, we hit a road block. Rather than sit in awkward silence (as we so often do), Chencho and Ugyen got out and started building a snowman/woman. Heather and I were quite amused at first as they added horns and other random things to their snow-person, but before long, the policeman was adding a little more detail then we cared to see in our snowmen, so we admired the road for a bit and then retired to the car to watch an episode of The Office on Heather's iPad.

Eventually we did make it over the mountain and we stopped for lunch. All Heather and I could think about as we ate was the little ice-cream store we had passed on our way in, so on our way out, Heather asked Chencho (I was too chicken) if we could go off schedule for a bit and get ice-cream. He politely appeased our request and even let me go down the street to a grocery store all by myself (this took a little convincing). I felt so free as I walk half-way down the block and into that store--it was unreal!

I should mention, we saw some cool things today, with the highlights being Paro's Museam (which is a really cool building--it used to be a watch tower), and the ruins of a fort that burnt down in the 1850s (I think?)--Chencho also tells us it is know as one of the local "Lover's Points". Awesome.

As for the flip-flops, it turned out that Heather was much more concerned about my illogical footwear than Chencho, but it still provided me with some entertainment. And I'm sure that Chencho was relieved that Heather was pointing it out so that he didn't have too. ...scratch that, I spoke too soon. I got a 10 minute lecture from Chencho at dinner about the importance of wearing the right shoes tomorrow.

Bonus feature--I'm sick again. Worse than before. So much for that rock-solid immune system I thought I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment