Sunday, February 6, 2011

How to Make a Differrence?

This Sunday was "Fast Sunday" which means that we skip two meals (generally going without food or water for about 24 hours) and we donate the money we would have spent on food to those in need.  We open our fast with a prayer for guidance, strength, or help (either for ourselves or for others who are in need) in regards to a specific question or issue.  I would say it's a form of meditation.  Prayer and fasting help us become more receptive to the influence of the Lord.  Through prayer and fasting we learn to shut out the things of the world and focus our attention on the things of the spirit (or things of God).  My fast today was focused on how I can better utilize my talents to serve others. I don't mean to do a deep dive into my religion with all of this, but I hope my explanation helps everyone understand where I am coming from... and for all of you who are Christian and/or have access to a bible, I'll reference Matthew 25:15-30.

I've been thinking a lot today about how much I take for granted--even here at Rising Star. Heather and I have our moments of complaining about the lack of food, cold bucket showers, or the "toilets", but we are still living pretty well out here. We have air conditioned living quarters, a cleaning lady that does our laundry, drivers, drinkable water, mattresses... Luxuries that the most of the people in the colonies live without. The first week we were here I kept expecting the cleaning ladies to wash my sheets and make my bed for me--perhaps I have gotten a bit too used to hotel living. It's frustrating to me that I have come all the way to India, I am surrounded by so many in need, and I still have to remind myself regularly that I am here to serve. It's easy to just check off the days until we move on to our next destination, but it takes focus to really make the most of our time, to leverage all of our talents, and to make the difference we are capable of making.

Lesson for the day, never let daily life become a checklist. Each day is filled with so many opportunities to make a difference in the world--sometimes it may be as easy as smiling and saying hello to someone that is lonely or having a rough time, other days it may require more. For example, I think of Heidi Hyte (a fellow volunteer). She works for a company that helps people learn English using simple, yet effective, computer programs and has been able to implement these programs at Rising Star. The teachers here love the program and spend hours on the computers every week working to improve their English. This in turn trickles down to the children who will now have more effective teachers. Another example is Wendy from "Pearls with a Purpose". By sharing her unique skill set and business knowledge with Rising Star, she has enabled Rising Star to start a new micro business in the colonies which will dramatically improve the quality of life for many families.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can better leverage my own skills and background to make a difference here, but perhaps the small gestures (the smiles and hugs) are what the people here need most?? There are so many ways each of us can better the lives of others--it's important not to let these opportunities pass us by.

No comments:

Post a Comment