Today we left Chennai and flew to Varanasi. Despite our comfortable beds, I couldn't sleep last night and 4am came much too soon! Also, it seems that the smoggy city air does not agree with my throat and my stomach has finally succumbed to Delhi Belly. Not good... I was actually kind of jealous that Heather was sick while we were at Rising Star, because I figured it was inevitable and, if your going to be sick, it's nice to have the option to lay low for a day or two.
Varanasi is an amazing city. I was pleasantly surprised that the busyness of the city was not too overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, it is a LOT to take in with the overcrowded streets, bright colors everywhere, monkeys scampering across roof tops, cows wondering through the streets and into the shops, and incense feeling the air... but we felt pretty safe with our guide and were able to appreciate the unique vibe that is Varanasi.
We went to a ceremony that blesses the Ganghes tonight. Too be honest, I was a bit distracted by my churning stomach (scared to leave the hotel and what I might face should an emergency situation arise), but it was an awesome sight to behold. I thought that all the pictures I had seen might be extreme examples, but they were right on--only they don't capture how it all comes together with the parades of people carrying their Gods to the Ganges, the music, the smoke in the air, and the candles lighting the water. I'm not sure how to capture it in words, but I'm sure you can get a better feel once we post the pictures.
Varanasi has indeed surpassed my expectations so far--hopefully my stomach does not stop me from taking it in fully.
No comments:
Post a Comment