Today was our final day in Bhutan and we saved the best for last--Tiger's Nest. I love a good hike and this one is quite unique. Tiger's Nest is a monastery that is built into a cliff high above Paro. The hike takes around 4 hours with an elevation gain of roughly 10,000 feet. I've been looking forward to it since we decided to add Bhutan to our itinerary. So, I made a deal with God last night in the midst of throwing up and what not. I told him I would take whatever he had to give me during the night, if he would just get me better in time for the hike this morning.
I have to say, last night was one of the longest, most miserable nights of my life, but by around 5am, I was finally starting to feel better and was able to get a couple hours of sleep. Heather tried to convince me the hike might not be a good idea (as did the hotel manager and our guide), but my deal worked out and I made the hike without any issues. And I'm so glad I did--it was awesome! I should mentioned that the hike was made a bit easier by Heather, who insisted on me resting every 200 yards or so, and by Chencho and Ugyen, who insisted on carrying all of our things and provided us with walking sticks, water, and hot herbal tea--I'm going to miss being treated like a princess all the time.
After the hike we rested for a bit, then we hit the town. Ugyen suggested that we get a feel for the night life in Bhutan and try out the local Karaoke scene tonight. I was looking forward to seeing Ugyen dance and sing (Chencho gives him rave reviews) but alas, by the time we finished dinner, neither Heather or I was feeling so great, so sadly we were not able to witness Ugyen's mad skills first hand. Perhaps next time. I hear the trekking Bhutan in the spring is beautiful...
No comments:
Post a Comment